Each year, Midland ACS co-sponsors an Earth Day expo in the month of April with Midland Center for the Arts (MCFTA) and Midland Volunteers for Recycling. The event is held in the MCFTA lobby, and other exhibitors, vendors and groups are invited to exhibit (for free), depending on the theme. Special focus is given to “green” topics like solar and wind energy, the “three R’s” (reduce, reuse, recycle), water conservation and purification, and spring planting. In 2015 a new Earth-Day related program was offered: “earth-friendly” events occurred throughout the month in different locales on various subjects; those in attendance signed in, and at the end of the month, attendee names were placed into a drawing for several prizes. The events were:
- Dr. Rick Foster speaking at MCFTA on “Lessons from Detroit: A Global Vision for Urban Sustainability”
- “Global Worming: Vermiculture and More at the SVSU Greenhouse”
- “Energy Expert” program for Girl Scouts, in Midland
- “Boy Scouts Celebrate Earth Day”–hands-on events in Auburn
- Ms. Sarah Lowe speaking at Bay City Western on “Gyres of Junk: Garbage in our Lakes and Oceans”
Prizes were: $20 gift certificate from MCFTA, free golf cart tours from Dow Gardens, two $25 gift cards from Lowe’s, and four free passes to the Saginaw Zoo.